Whether you’re a student or a seasoned veteran, finding the right camera can be a daunting task. Canon or Panasonic? Nikon or Sony? Mirrorless or DSLR? Hopefully, our list of recommended cameras for filmmakers should prove useful in your search for the right one for you.
1. Canon 5D Mark III – First released in 2012, this camera lacks some of the features of newer models, like a flip-out screen and 4K capabilities. However, because of its low light performance, superior image quality, and 61 autofocus points, the 5D Mark III is arguably one of the best Canon DSLR for video recording. The 5D Mark III is perfect for vloggers who require incredible image quality but not a ton of portability, like makeup tutorials or studio interviews.
Canon 5D Mark III –https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Frame-Full-HD-Digital-Camera/dp/B007FGYZFI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=mrmicks-20&linkId=91420b05f4003984663b5562d66560ad
2. Panasonic Lumix GH5 – The recently-released GH5 is a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera that records 4K 60p/50p video. As with other mirrorless cameras, the GH5 is fairly compact, and lenses tend to be quite small by comparison. The focus detection area is massively increased from 49 (Lumix GH4) to 225 points for more flexible composition. This camera is an ideal option for budget-minded videographers who want a small but extremely powerful camera.
Panasonic Lumix GH5 – https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DC-GH5KBODY-Mirrorless-Camera-Bluetooth/dp/B01MZ3LQQ5/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=mrmicks-20&linkId=e21896d976d2b8bbba9d3ed4ebd4f376
3. Canon C100 Cinema Camcorder – The C100 Cinema Camcorder is one of the most powerful camcorders on the market. It has a flip screen, ISO capabilities up to 80,000, and lightning-fast autofocus. Based off the design concept of the EOS C300, the C100, has been optimized for run-and-gun and one-man-band style shooting, a specialty of event videographers, documentarians and independent filmmakers.
Canon C100 Cinema Camcorder –https://www.amazon.com/Canon-C100-Cinema-Camera-24-105mm/dp/B00SYRIADK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=mrmicks-20&linkId=dbf36d14cceb48283003d5c77d6f4708
4. Sony Alpha a7S II – Sony’s a7SII is a mirrorless camera that excels at videography. This camera has 169 autofocus points and records 4K video on its full frame sensor. It also has built-in image stabilization and is known for working exceptionally well in low-light situations. The Sony Alpha a7S II is the perfect choice for videographers who demand high quality everything in a package that is smaller than a DSLR.
Sony Alpha a7S II –https://www.amazon.com/Sony-ILCE7SM2-E-mount-Camera-Full-Frame/dp/B0158SRJ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=mrmicks-20&linkId=c545bf3e123aec9ffa2c57538beb2b51
5. Canon EOS 70D – Many people consider the Canon 70D to be the best DSLR for vloggers due to its long battery life (920 pictures before needing a recharge compared to DSLR average of 894 shots), rock solid autofocus system, and user-friendly touchscreen. This camera supports full HD 1080p recording at speeds of 30, 24, and 25 fps and is actually a favourite of lifestyle, beauty, and travel vloggers who want fantastic image quality. It’s also a good budget choice for those utilizing it for filmmaking needs.
Canon EOS 70D –https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-Camera-Body-Only/dp/B00DMS0GTC/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=mrmicks-20&linkId=602d336d18cb9280b12ae8d6d572a847
6. Nikon D3300 – The least expensive camera on this list, the D3300 is a small, crop-sensor DSLR that can record 1080p video at 60FPS. For those who want to keep the budget down while still being able to take high-quality video, Nikon’s D3300 is the way to go. It is also a good option for a camera to start your DSLR videography whilst trying out other high-end cameras to determine whether a more expensive one is right for you.
Nikon D3300 –https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-1532-18-55mm-3-5-5-6G-Focus-S/dp/B00HQ4W1QE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=mrmicks-20&linkId=5b1c577f3a07e565c5297960d60600a6
7. Canon T7i – The newest member (currently) of the Rebel line, the Canon T7i is a powerful crop sensor DSLR for aspiring videographers. This DSLR has a 24.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor capable of capturing gorgeous-looking images, and a DIGIC 7 Image Processor (which powers the camera) that produce high image quality and fast operation, even in in low light.
Canon T7i –https://www.amazon.com/Canon-EOS-REBEL-EF-S-18-55/dp/B06VT2NQD8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=mrmicks-20&linkId=ebb7968807cac1958b75aaa8959d9886
8. Nikon D810 – This camera, which was released in 2014, shoots 1080p video at 60 FPS, has a 36 MP full frame sensor, and locks into focus with its 15 cross-type (and 51 total) autofocus points. The autofocus on the D810 works excellently, even in the dark, and it handles high ISOs exceptionally well. The D810 is highly capable at shooting portraits, sports, landscapes, and just about anything you want to record with it.
Nikon D810 – https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D810-FX-format-Digital-Camera/dp/B00LAJQVR6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=mrmicks-20&linkId=1787f5142a1690cc613ee79d030cc42b
9. Blackmagic Design URSA Mini– A smaller, more handheld-friendly version of the URSA, this 4K Digital Cinema Camera can record cinematic images with its Super-35mm 4K, global-shutter sensor with 12 stops of dynamic range. The EF-mount is compatible with a wide variety of popular lenses, and its ergonomic body design makes the URSA Mini for many different styles of filmmaking. In addition, it has high-quality built-in stereo microphones and professional audio recording features, which eliminates the need for you to carry around extra sound equipment.
Blackmagic Design URSA Mini –https://www.amazon.com/Blackmagic-Design-Digital-EF-Mount-CINECAMURSAM40K/dp/B00WNFHZB2/r/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=mrmicks-20&linkId=c4396821b6dfd1d3331fea0ad17f5dcb
10. Sony PXW-FS7 XDCAM Super 35 Camera System – Sony’s PXW-FS7 XDCAM Super 35 Camera System features a Super 35mm size CMOS sensor that allows you to record 4K video internally and capture images with cinematic depth of field. The camera’s E-mount is machined from stainless steel and allows you to use E-mount lenses or with the use of optional adapters to accept most 35mm lenses including PL, EF, Leica, and Nikon. As stated on Sony’s website, the PXW-FS7 XDCAM is the ideal camcorder for documentaries, unscripted TV, news magazines, indie features, corporate video and more.
Sony PXW-FS7 XDCAM Super 35 Camera System –https://www.amazon.com/Sony-PXW-FS7-Viewfinder-Eyepiece-Wireless/dp/B00P7AK580/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=mrmicks-20&linkId=49ba34761ca96418ce1c9816ad0ee609
We hope that you found our article informative and insightful. Feel free to share your thoughts on our article, in addition to which camera on this list is your most favorite.
Comment below and let us know, and don’t forget to share this article and like/subscribe to our Diamond Films Limited Facebook page for latest updates on our blog.